Thursday, January 10, 2013

As I was talking to a friend on the phone the other day, I was trying to recall the Esalen-originated "Gestalt Prayer."  I couldn't get the first part, but now I have the gist of it:

"I am not in this world to meet up to your expectations;
and you are not in this world to meet up to mine.
If we get together, it's a beautiful thing;
if not, it can't be helped."

This of course is not so much a prayer as a humanistic credo.  Neverthe less it seems pungently helpful for many situations: in which the problem is, "Behind every upset is an unmet expectation."  Maybe we would get along better if we expected less than perfection from our fellow humans; because that is the one expectation you can count on...

1 comment:

  1. Text of "prayer"

    I do my thing and you do your thing.
    I am not in this world to live up to your
    expectations,
    And you are not in this world to live up to
    mine.
    You are you, and I am I,
    and if by chance we find each other, it's
    beautiful.
    If not, it can't be helped.
    (Fritz Perls, "Gestalt Therapy Verbatim", 1969)

    In my youth I always thought that it would be interesting to visit the Esalen Institute. Did you spend any time there?

    ReplyDelete