Wednesday, December 7, 2011

MOB'd

I can hardly let this day pass without comment. Is this merely, "The Day that will live in infamy." or is it something else?  Many "Pearl Harbor days" have passed since that 9/11 political equivalent without a similar event.  Yet we choose to commemorate evil--"then the terrorists win."

With no disrespect to our vets, I will remember this day with joy for something entirely different.  This is opening day for a brand new hospital and for me a very different practice, provided by the architectural and conceptual changes in my--read "our"-- office alone.  Suddenly I find myself in the wide open spaces, not just on the outside--though we are now surrounded by fields and not houses--but a different sort of space inside the office which is somewhat the reverse of the outside changes. That is--bear with me please and use some imagination-- the houses have now moved inside. My office space, once secluded at the far reaches of the old MOB ( yes, that's right=Medical Office Building), so far out that cell phone reception was even difficult; is now right on the beaten path. 

"My door is always open."  That seems to be literally true now. And Dr. Scholl's office is only 1 door away. And thereby hangs a tale of God's Grace. I will attempt to be brief and fill out details as needed in the future, even though my gratitude seems to be and hopefully will remain or grow, boundless. "Doctor without Borders" indeed. (It helps that I no longer have the desire to browse bookstores!)

For years I have desired to have a Christian medical partner, in addition to my life's partner, Flo. I even hired a recruiter, briefly, when I was in private practice.  And what did I have move in? A Chinese atheist! Very funny, Lord.

I am finding once again that the more I try to choose my circumstances, and manipulate people, the worse things get. Micromanagement seems to be from hell, and the devil's choice; as it was Cain's.

But the more choices I leave to God, the more amazing things He does, right under my supposedly sensitive nose. Yesterday Dr. Scholl invited me into his office, to pray for our "new" (extralegal?) partnership; and to invite the Holy Spirit to do what He will with us--again, without plans or force or plans of force, which is the deeper trust--over the years we will be together. At least until one of us retires!

So my prayer has been answered after 30 years--after I had given up on it--and by my own personal physician too! The story is the same story as happened with the free clinic. I always dreamed of working in a clinic called Trinity--and now I do!

More later--I need to get back to The MOB!

1 comment:

  1. I know it is progress but growing up in the 40s and 50s almost every doctor in our town had his office in his home. Like the old country doctors...lol I know it is not practical with all the restrictions placed on our medical practitioners but I sort of miss the good ole days when there was more of an intimacy between patient and doctor. After all you were being invited into your doctor's home and life. What insight does a patient have today of his doctor and their family.
    I will know the end is near when ministers start living in condos and seeing their parishioners by appointments arranged by a secretary on the 16th floor of some office building.

    ReplyDelete