Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Caffeine Monster Speaketh Forth

First, thanks to Ralph and Julie Lassa and to Claire, Wyatt, and Jenna their children, for having me over for dinner last night.  I forgot to give my compliments to the chefs, but I hereby repent and procaim the meal's beefy goodness for all to see.  (All 2 of you)  Remind me how to get on your blog. I still have trouble making remarks on my own blog--I did it once but can't remember how--My Google doesn't remember my newer phone or password or something.

Second, Pensees (bring your vessels not a few)

I am reminded frequently of this pensee-not-my-own:  "You can have as much of  God as you want! In fact, you already have as much God as you want!!

Finished "The House of the Dead" last night; and once the fetters have been knocked off:: "Well, with God's blessing, with God's blessing," said the convicts in coarse abrubt voices, in which, however, there was a note of pleasure."

"Yes, with God's blessing! Freedom, new life, resurrection from the dead...what a glorious moment!"

While Dosteovsky, like James Joyce, could give full voice to the doubters ( Joyce's version of the Grand Inquisitor is the local priest), it is disingenuous at best, and deceptive at least, to use Ivan Karamazov as an atheist bludgeon, or the Grand Inquisitor as defining his Dost's own views.  What makes this great literature is the ability to voice the thoughts of the opposition with the same literary quality and imagination as he applies to any sympathizer!  We, on the other hand, barely give a superficial listen to the opposition.  One can't even take a poll anymmore in a public place without being suspect before the first sentence comes out!  See Joel Belz story  in a recent issue of World  magazine.

There's a line I like in one of the "Herbie" movies where the leading lady is locked into a sentient volkswagen: and the hippies next to her, say. "We all prisoners, lady!"  What a great excuse!  But we have even and ever better reasons why we should not rescue our neighbor.  An appeal to metaphysics is just one of the many weapons of The Spanish Inquisition--and I wear the nice red uniforms every Friday!!!

Well thanks again to my "de veras" good sams of last night; and to you too, Dennis--a good listener if ever there was one!  God Morning and Happy Christ-Mass!!!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a good time - we all did as well. Please come again!

    ReplyDelete