Saturday, December 31, 2011

"I scarce ken take it en"

...sands which, non...

Sometimes I feel desperate obligations to says thanks-- and in that case I usually become immobilized and never send that card.  Of course I'd rather do it in person,  but I usually forget by that time who got me what. And 'tis compounded by the fact that I increasingly leave the gift-giving to Flo, as my judgement in that past as to who would like what has been terribly skewed by my own tastes--as well as a lot of last minute hedging and rationalizations.

If Julie and Ralph are reading this, I do want to say thank you for your exceptional hospitality; and to your children for asking so many questions as well as showing me things. One could only hope that their acceptance of older adults persists until "I R 1":)

But had Flo been along, she would have brought something.  It didn't occur to me that it is good manners to bring something to your host before you eat all their food. 

But--"isn't that just like my Jesus!?"  Grace grown and shown all along the way.  If it were merely by merit I would be a much more lonely person than I am now. 2011 has been darker than most for many people, so I see in the office and hear about from many elsewheres.  But light shines best in the darkness--on a "bright sunshiny day," who would notice a candle; much less "this little light of mine?"

Yes, I know that for many if not most people all such tiny illuminarios are irrelevant; but really more offensive than a matter of indifference, judging by the amount of hostility He still, and now more than ever, engenders in the average person who clings to his self-righteousness with an eternal vengeance, which he would surely take if he could!

(Sorry about the length of that last sentence--maybe Paul would have been ok with it!)

So--if I fail to make a list of events evincing my internal gratitude, forgive me--but I think maybe such inventories  mean increasingly little to those outside of a family who have no idea what we are talking about any more. We still get a few news letters like this; and if you know who and what is being talked about, it's good. Otherwise it's rather difficult to get through 2 pages of single-spaced eventologies:)

But even for that it is well possible to give thanks: for the efforts and the increasingly expensive and inefficient stamp--but who doesn't love to get any mail personally hand-adressed to us?--but also for the fact, as per the title of a Frances Shaeffer book, that there are "no little people"--and "not by chance" are we graced even more by the fading grass of other people remembering us and not crossing us off their list!!!  May it continue until grace runs out--that is, never.

Thanks to one and all for making this one otherwise solitary life possible--to be lived to the full. Keep giving out as you do, esp. in the small things, and you will never lack any good, essential thing--even your cup of cold watere proferred to the angels of whom you are unaware (not me, by the way. I am still just a Bill!)--shall be returned one thousand fold; but sans flooding your bathroom...

2 comments:

  1. You are most welcome again for the meal. It was a pleasure to have you. Don't worry, it is not necessary for "family" to bring anything except themselves when we sup together. Hope you come back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But light shines best in the darkness--on a "bright sunshiny day," who would notice a candle; much less "this little light of mine?"

    Very good point my dear, so in our darkest hours the light of Christ in us and in others shines brightest. And when many lights are burning, the place becomes very bright.

    We must remember not to hide our light under a bushel for someone other than ourselves may be in need of that light and its special blessing.

    Shine Jesus Shine: in me, through me, over me, around me.

    ReplyDelete