Monday, February 13, 2012

"A word means exactly what I choose it to mean..."

After my trips to FL and Mobile U, I decided to do a minor word study on the word, "tolerance."  Some have suggested that this is the only remnant of a pantheon of old virtues. This may be due to the fact that "tolerance" is as slippery as its antecedent virtue, "humility." Some definitions are really rather clear esp. in terms of metallurgy; somewhat less so in medicine where tolerance can be for toxins; or against helpful medications as well.  Some claim for neutrality may be made in these definitions; but in other areas the polemic uses of the word greatly overshadow its practical or fuit-bearing uses.  I would tend of course to have more confidence in the medical and scientific usages.

This is actually the first time I have looked at a definition of the word, largely because it is one of those words whose meaning is both assumed (as a virtue) and tacit; it is a word that is invariably defined by the cultural mileu or the many tribes thereof; making its protean nature immediately evident to those who spend any time outside looking in at the zeitgeist.

I have spent an equal amount of time looking out and looking in; about 30 years apiece.  It is further problematic that there has been a power shift in that what was countercultural in my first thirty years has of course become the societal norm.  One might say that I have continued to be countercultural throughout my 60 plus years; not the least due to the fact that I don't tend to be beholden to culture since I have never gotten much out of it. My father attributes this to my nature-given contrarian aspect.  But of course this probably attributes too much to genetics. I always held a silent admiration for his own even more contrarian ways--I liken him to Robert Benchley's description of himself as a "militant non-joiner."  So far he and I tend more to cynicism--which I would contend has great worth; more of that another time.

The classic example of the self-defeating nature of terms like these is humility; as soon as one even thinks it about oneself, much less spits it out, it completely disappears; not unlike Linus' progressive ambitions to be a "world famous humble little country doctor."  It immediately casts oneself of an undeniable member of an elite that has attempted to elevate himself by self-contradictory means.  Most ordinary people who have no opportunity or desire to be looked on as execptional. have a word for this: "bullshit." They often and unintentionally have highlly developed "baloney detectors," something they hold in common with both children and cats--who instantly know-- by a process both unadorned and highly complex--who loves them "as is."  Grandmothers often tune into this quite naturally, but men have more difficulty (except where cats are concerned!) who tend to give up, tune out, and drop out.

(Not the case for Alathea and myself however. I am "'Father" but she's reluctant to put a label on Flo: "Who's that?"  Silence.)

This just shows that the complexity of the human brain is unfathomable and the materialists only flatter themselves--in every age--that they have reduced it to (also inexplicable)" strong forces".

I do not intend to do anything here but to reflect on my experiences and varying public usages of the word which probably have more to do with marketing one's self, or one's preferences.  The surface has not been scratched.  But it might be helpful if someday some of us could seperate the useful definitions of tolerance from the usages that are self-contradictory.  I suppose that the same could be said for the word " "love."  (2/14)  which could be anything from "I love Flo," to Ich liebe mein(e) Fuerher"

There is a difference, of course. Even beyond "good works".

Speaking of Flo, when I first met her she had a sign on the wall suggesting that flowers are not aware of their colors or fragrances--they are simply displayed and exuded; so it is with the truly loving, tolerant, and humble person.  If someone says it about us, the only valid response--unless a flatterer suceeds-- is surprise and unbelief.  This keys into Thoreau's observation  that, "If I knew that someone was coming to my house with the express intent of doing a me a good turn, I should flee for my life!"  Or Abbot's search for the elusive fly--"I got it! I got it!              I don't got it:("

2 comments:

  1. Confucius observed that the first order of business in rebuilding a collapsed society is to restore the proper meaning of words.

    Cynicism comes from cynic which originally meant dog-like. My favorite cynic has been Diogenes of Sinope who lived in a barrel, seldom wore clothes and lived on onions. He wandered the streets seeking an honest man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that would be something! Has that ever actually happened or is that just C-F's recommendation? I couldn't agree more but....

    The Barrel is really outstanding. I didn't know about the onions--raw or fried? Did he ever find anything besides the onions and rain?

    ReplyDelete