Sunday, February 19, 2012

On the other hand

...it is true that human beings tend automatically to think in terms of dichotomies in spite of being tripartite beings.  The current prejudice--one of convenience and the quarterly report--is that nothing is a trinity, that there is only matter and energy and that's all. Of course that forces one to think in increasingly in terms of division, since that is the lens we choose, and the wider view is that what we have is a multitude of  gifts, not of merit badges. In other words, it is extremely aggravating to us that there could be a view superior to ours--hence every other view--usually of the equal and opposite persuasion--is suspect indefinitely.

My son Stephen's thesis--to be released in book form next year--is that both Auden and Augustine took great pains to avoid thinking in terms of bipartite schisms and "party favors."  Even our good friend G. Washington warned, in vain, about the party spirit. How roundly this has been ignored!

A related theme: years ago I recall a song by Eric Burden which goes like this: "I'm just a man whose intentions are good/O Lord don't let me be misunderstood."  And this from a group called, "The Animals"!!!  This is a rather discomfiting song in that it is so full of self-pity; yet easily recognizable as the default mode of most of us, esp. me.  It of course takes a concerted effort to get out of self-pity; but it is also expected of us since no one likes a whiner.

I think sometimes that Western Christians do not take many pains to avoid this trap.  A sense of entitlement is probably the most deadly sin on earth (but don't take me literally--just a little hyperbole)
What it does is thrust us away from Christ and into the partisanship of the Pharisees, Sadducees, Romans, and Herod.  As we see in reality, there are far more than 2 parties in the system! But we usually settle for two- us, and our scaegoats/enemy du jour.

In other words, a Christian should wholly expect to be misunderstood, and accept it. After all, is it possible to explain the Trinity, esp. to those who are running headlong from God Himself, and have zero tolerance for not only Him but the Spirit and the Son as well?  Understanding in God's economy is a gift, not an accomplishment, which make faith entirely necessary, as I mentioned recently.

James is emphatic about being misunderstood. He would not have prayed an "Animals" prayer!  However the idea that we seek out suffering and conflict is also flatly contradicted in God's Word--all things are given to all people to give us joy--but paradoxically we most often settle for far less--and sometimes have the effrontery to blame God for our woes!  To be "understood" is to be unsatisfied with the truth that we don't even understand ourselves, and tell ourselves lies and half-truths day and night. I mean this across the board.

Solomon initially loved God as his father did, and hence God, for this any many other reasons, gave Solomon understanding beyond his own natural abilities.  But as in most human affairs, the kind of love that puts God and other people first, is the bedrock and all else follows from that. It is quite easily lost,  obviously.  And once again referring to the insightful pagan Camus, the alternative is raw competition and suicide. Only one can "win it all"  (whiner take all?) and so far, no one qualifies.

I do like to read my Dad's magazines and occasional articles because it keeps me in balance. He sends all his children The New Yorker, and it is one way for me to keep in touch across the great divide: which includes me being routinely "misunderstood."  However it should also be true of the Christian that, "I can live with that!"  And I do, all day long. My job does not allow me to lead a sheltered life!!!
Besides that, I don't have enough time or energy much less ability to untangle all that has been assumed about me--esp. since I make the grandest assumptions myself!  But in a sense, I believe it is also beneficial to be more than a bit nervous about this--we should worry about some things!

Subject to ongoing revision...!!!

1 comment:

  1. Albert Camus quote...

    Everyone would like to behave like a pagan, with everyone else behaving like a Christian.

    ReplyDelete