Friday, January 20, 2012

what's in a 50-cent word?

75 cents? No, that's Life. (that's a lotta money! well, that's Life ad infinitum)

At the halfway point of my sleep-wake cycle I got to thinking about my previous aside about preserving "50-cent words" from destruction.  And I realized that we are fully out of the Romantic era and the flowery Victorian fine arts and into the era of "plain-speaking"--popularized finally by Harry True Man?

Now that the lingua inglaterra has gone global, and news anchors no longer have any accents--according to us Midwesterners (not-from-Chicaga- that is)--something which I sort of predicted some years ago--I s'pose I should be happy that I now can be understood globally.

Well, maybe not.

Especially since I am not really going anywhere

No comments:

Post a Comment