Thursday, October 27, 2011

"Philosophy is dead." to Mr. Hawking!

Etienne Gilson: "Philosophy always buries its undertakers."

So often men, satisfied and smug within their tight little world of specializations and special friends, call for, or declare, an end to the world outside of their fields.

All  truth is inconvenient to someone most of the time; and ready to be sacrificed at any moment. Anymore we use the term only as a political or personal "wedge."

But it doesn't go away at our whims and fashions of culture or our narrow worldviews. We are inherently and biologically blind, of material necessity. Which is why it makes sense to follow the divine mandate of being poor in spirit. I see no other logical possibility; hubris is always unjustifiable--note that it is only mentioned in literature as a pejorative term--but always in reference to someone outside one's self or circle.

I would like to develop this further when I locate my copy of "The Possessed"--to compare the two maiu pilgrimages of the book which I believe Dost. meant to be compared and contrasted in process and in outcome.

1 comment:

  1. A little clarification please. I figured out you are referring to Dostoevsky's "The Possessed" or "The Devils" and not Camus' play of the same name.
    What I can't figure out is your reference to "two maiu pilgrimages". Where or what is maiu?

    I found a copy of "The Possessed" on Gutenberg.org if you can't find your copy.

    www.gutenberg.org/files/8117/8117-h/8117-h.htm

    ReplyDelete