Tuesday, February 5, 2013

HOTEL CALIFORNIA TARGET HEART BEAT


Exercise Room?  Room for exercise?  Which muscle group needs it the most?

“Bodily exercise profits a little…”

The story is told of the family doctor who was attending a dying patient; and took the opportunity to give his message one more time about diet and exercise.

“Zombie Chemotherapy”

 

When one gets to a certain point, the preachments of McMedicine no longer have relevance, and seem darkly ironic. And if what we see is what we get, we despair.

Nevertheless, we walk not by sight but by faith.

Let me invent here two more phrases that will illustrate our default position in this regard:

Micro Exercise;

And Nano Prayer.

 

“Small Businesses” indeed!

Why is our exercise regimen dictated by Big Business?  And if our exercise of faith is so pitiful, what of our spiritual diet?  Is it not thin gruel indeed, compared to what God is serving?

And then there is the Joy.  Man was made for joy; and we know it when we see it; so obviously the potential is there, just as much as a uterus suggests the power to gestate a child (or two; or three; etc)

It is not overly difficult to see what we are made for; all we need is one or two examples to get our attention; but is it not also true that a dying culture and a degenerating genome would put us, uh, “off-function,” as well as off-message?  And what can you say of a society that defies its own DNA; as mutated as it may be?  If we can’t even follow our physical program, how can we hope to cope with or follow anything higher or more organized than that?

 

Paraphrasing Jesus:  “If you do not believe Me about physical things, how then will you believe anything right spiritually?”

I feel particularly acutely today that I am still way too full of myself to be anything but spirit-flabby.

If Christ does not have a progressively complete controlling ownership inside, then “in me dwelleth no good thing;” something I realized 30 plus years ago; yet when Christ comes will he find me in the Faith Exercise Room of this grimy “Hotel California”? Will I not lift a finger, as Jesus said of the lawyers and teachers and rulers of His days on earth, to help anyone else to Real Health; compared to which what medicine per se has to offer may be of no more ultimate value than the Health Points earned on a video game?

Every moment of every passing day, I have a choice.  It is time to start making time to listen to God more than I talk to Him; and talk to Him thoroughly before I approach my neighbor.  Who else would know better what my neighbor actually needs?  (Hint: my neighbor, like unto me, probably has less of an idea than most as to what s/he actually needs—“felt needs” may be an entryway; but never stop there; esp. in prayer.  May the Holy Spirit guide us—that’s why He came, and why He is still here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment