Sunday, June 3, 2012

Live Gren

As isn't my wont, I am publishing something of praise.  I refer specifically to the work of Kerry Livgren, someone whose work I have admired for years, but whose present work is largely unknown.  I have referred to Kerry Livgren in passing sometime in the remote past; he was the driving force behind the band "Kansas, "and was one of the first performers whose work would be  described as art rock. In troubled times I will often put on his only instrumental album, "One of Several Possible Musicks"
The titles may give the reader a clue as to the wide range Livgren possessed:
1-Ancient Wing
2 And I Saw, as it Were...Konelrad
3 Colonnade Gardens.
4 In the Sides of the North
5 Alenna in the Sun
Side 2
1 Tannin Danse
2 The Far Country.
3 Diaspora
3 A Fistful of Drachma
5 Tenth of Nisan
My personal favorite-- with a surprise ending-- is "Diaspora" because it has so many elements yet moves as a perfect whole to a very specific climax.

This album of course has been largely overlooked since Livgren left Kansas, which was never the same afterwords.  Years later he volunteered to write an album for Kansas which recaptured the former style; he continues to put out rock albums under the name of "Proto-Kaw" which I might call less art rock than "Prairie Rock."  His emphasis has continued to change but the quality of the music itself continues to get better.  It's not for everyone of course--not everyone has the patience for a song not just with a chorus and bridge but several movements.  Obviously my suggestion is to listen to a few of these. I might add that he is not only the composer of the instrumentals but played most of the instruments himself.

1 comment:

  1. I don't listen to much popular music but Kerry's song "Dust in the Wind" is one that I have heard often over the years and liked.

    ReplyDelete