Sunday, April 29, 2012

"...the metaphors of above and below might...carry a false suggestion.  It might be supposed that I believe science and philosophy to be somehow intrinsically more valuable than art or literature.  I hold no such view. The 'higher' intellectual level is higher only by one particular standard.  Comparative evaluations of different excellences are in my opinion senseless. A surgeon is better than a violinist at operating and a violinist better than a surgeon at playing the violin.  Nor am I suggesting that the poets and artists are wrong or stupid in omitting from their backcloth much which the experts think important.  An artist needs some anatomy; he need not go on to physiology, much less to biochemistry. And if the sciences change much more than anatomy changes (which it surely does-WES) his work will not reflect their progress."

--C.S. Lewis, "The Discarded Image"

"Sed contra:" What can it hurt?  There are surgeons who can really "Catgut" a fiddle!!!

I have long, since Shimer at least, believed that art and science are only temporarily inconvenienced in their relationship by sharp-tongued old "experts" who can think of nothing more creative or useful than starting fights and practicing at their xenophobia. A real scientist is not a propaganda machine--that belongs to the category of "science-so-called."

(See my new poetry series on my 2 Facebook pages.  Those who have called me two-faced are right!  Should I start a third, to avoid dualism?  Tammy tell me true....)

1 comment:

  1. From reading your blogs for the past couple of years I would not think you place science above literature. In fact I would describe you as more of a Renaissance man or a Polymath. It is interesting to look through a list of men who are recognized as polymaths. Men like Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, Galileo, Goethe, Isaac Newton to name a few. Their interests and knowledge was wide ranging and they continued learning until they died.

    ReplyDelete